Public Information Officer- Crisis Communications Workshop
Building upon ICS 100, this course provides emergency responders with an overview of key duties and responsibilities of an Information Officer Type III in a Type III AHIMT. This is a classroom-based Instructor facilitated course. The Public Information Officer Awareness Course is designed to familiarize participants with the concepts underlying the PIO role. This course can provide a basic understanding of the PIO function for those new to the position. Additionally, it can provide those in executive level roles the necessary knowledge of PIO roles and responsibilities during an emergency.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
• Define emergency public information and the importance of being proactive.
• Describe the role and functions of the PIO.
• Describe the types of written products used in public information activities.
• Recall preparation techniques that contribute to a successful media interview.
• List the steps of the 8-Step Model for Strategic Communications.
• Given a scenario, apply the 8-Step Model to a public awareness campaign.
• Apply public information techniques to a 5% scenario.
With a view toward validating emergency planning documents and competencies of role players within the EOC and On-Site Command, realistic table top exercises are developed. Utilizing digital simulation as a medium for realism, customized tabletops are designed to challenge emergency management practitioners.
Any personnel involved with emergency planning, response, or recovery efforts.
Individuals who aspire to a career as a planner and responder for crisis communications.
One day (8 hours)
ICS- 100 or ICS 402 depending on the position.