Building upon ICS foundational courses, the Safety Officer course provides government and private industry emergency responders with a robust understanding of the duties, responsibilities, and capabilities of an effective Safety Officer (SOFR) on an Incident Management Team (IMT). These responsibilities fall into two categories:
- Responding to the incident and the safety needs of the incident, and
- Effectively fulfilling the position responsibilities of a Safety Officer on an Incident Management Team.
This course is an instructor-led training that supports learning through discussion, lecture, and active participation in multiple exercises that provides a realistic, hands-on approach to mastering the skills required of a Safety Officer.
Please Note: 75% of funding for the course fees as a rebate to support professional development and safety within organizations. Please contact email@example.com or 1-506-333-2555 for more information, restrictions apply.
Specific Course Topics
- Roles and responsibilities of the position and assistants
- Actions required upon arriving at an incident
- Relationships with other IMT staff
- Establishing safety systems and supporting organization
- Best practices
- Safety plans
- Supporting the Incident Action Plan development process
- Requirements for documentation
- Risk Hazard Analysis and other forms
- Meetings, briefings, and support activities
- Safety Officer role in demobilization
- Safety Officer role in ensuring safe incident facilities
Responders subject to filling the ICS Safety Officer position
3 days (24 hours)
Note: All our courses are set according to the eastern time zone, which is Toronto time.